Saturday, November 13, 2010

In the Holiday Spirit...

"Brrrrrrr......!"

Growing up in a place like Wyoming,
one gets SOMEwhat used to the harsh, cold, bitter * winters. *
So why is it that today,
on a day when
the snow is falling everywhere else..
BUT here.
It was only down to the mid-40's and I was freezing?

I got acclimated to the Cali weather.
How weak is that?
 "Very."

And Now.
We have our palm trees in our yard.
Roses in full bloom.
Hummingbirds and...
half a dozen types of other birds
to wake up to each morning.
But...
All I can think about, is...
Hot cocoa.
Candy Canes.
Santa.
Happy children opening presents.
Scent of Pine.
Candles burning in a log cabin.
Logs crackling and couples, cozy on the couch.
Christmas Caroling...

*   *   *
Old Christmas Classics on TV.
(Frosty the Snowman)
(Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer)
(A Christmas Story)

And yet...

Nothing.
Absolutely... Nothing.
Can ever take away...
My.
Warm.
Winter.
Weather.

Warmth, from welcoming...
The Holiday Spirit.

Oh... and my favorite?
Pink Cheeks... and Rosey... Red Noses.

2 comments:

  1. I love the Christmas and winter comments you posted. It reminds me of my years on WY - the snow, X Mas lights reflecting off o...f the white snow powder, Christmas caroling on the back of tractors with hay bales, ice skating on frozen ponds, wading knee deep in snow wearing those awful moon boots, frost bitten ears and icicle hair (from my swimming years and having to go out in the frozen air with wet, long hair), cinnamon toast and hot chocolate with marshmallows to defrost on a freezing day, skiing on the golf course or sledding, yep...living in the colder parts of the country during the holidays really brings out the holiday spirit - yet, I am thankful to not have to deal with the rest of the winter cold and snow while living here in WA. I like to travel to the cold for Christmas, just to create that magical feeling of X Mas, then come home to a warmer home. Thanks for the blog! Jennifer Martinez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, good stuff here, Jose!

    ReplyDelete