Monday, November 29, 2010

A Note to the Children...

November 27, 2010

Hello Briana and Logan,

I only got to meet and speak with you both briefly about ten days ago. The occasion was my retirement from the Navy after 30 years of service.


Retiring from anything is a big deal. Friends, family and co-workers both current and from the past participate.


Retiring from the Navy too is a big deal but even more so as it has traditions that have been around for well over 200 years. These traditions are maintained as a sign of continuity with our shared past, respect for those who came before us, and reflect upon us who serve today and in the future. There are few organizations who adhere to this mindset during your time in it or as you exit its ranks after your service is completed. Hopefully, your own association with the Navy thus far in your lives has shown you some of what I speak of here.


But my retirement ceremony could not have happened or have been as well done if it wasn't for your father's efforts on my behalf.


First of all, he is a responsible person. Sure, there are many in the Navy, but he "took charge" of my event after only being in our shared unit here a short time.


And how he took charge! You could think this was easy, but it wasn't. These events are full of those traditions I mentioned above. But more importantly, is keeping those traditions and keeping the faith with them. It has to be in your heart and mind because it shows if it isn't.


That wasn't even close to being a problem for me with your father as he has it in his heart and mind. Similarly, we in the Navy call those who do well by all of us "Shipmates". The implication there is we share a special experience, not just the uniforms, but with usually sharing our professional responsibilities in close quarters or circumstances, often times quite difficult, that bond it's members tightly together. Even calling someone "Shipmate" is an open recognition of that bond and responsibility to each other.


Second, when you get a chance, take a closer look at you Dad and his own relationship with the Navy. You will determiner he himself has continued to grow within the Navy. This is not only evident via his moving up the ranks due to his hard work and work ethic, but by how his Shipmates view him too.


No matter what you do in life, if your peers appreciate you, you are doing it right and probably enjoying life yourself.


Thirdly, as I mentioned earlier, I only met you both briefly. But I do need to share an observation that I made and some of my guests made concerning the both of you, and that is that you comported yourselves in a way that belies your actual ages. Adults usually say that kids are "well behaved" when they see this. But in your cases, it is more, like you are ahead of your age group peers and more responsibly "adult" I guess.


The pride your Father has when he mentions your accomplishments is further proof of that. You are both doing well in school, athletics and in socializing with your fellow human beings, especially for at the age you are currently at.


Obviously, both your Mother and Father are shaping you well for your own futures. With your Father's responsibilities to our country and the Navy, your Mother had to take up a lot of additional responsibilities to you both that most families outside the military know nothing about. This reflects great credit upon her too.


In closing, I wanted to mention how much I appreciated your Father, my Shipmate's help recently. Through that interaction I got to see someone who is not only raising great kids, but is taking pride in it and enjoying it too. That is an awesome goal and achievement that someday you will understand even more and will want to emulate.


Briana and Logan, my best regards and wishes for your futures,


Charles B. Gillman

Captain, USN (Retired)

1 comment:

  1. This letter really hit home for me...Heartfelt for sure!

    ReplyDelete